Our cafeteria is dedicated to promoting student choices. Students now have access to a self-serve garden and fruit bar, as well as a make your own salad station. More information on each is available below.
Self-Serve Garden & Fruit Bars at Elementary Schools
PWCS School Food and Nutrition Services is so excited to introduce our Self-Serve Garden and Fruit Bars to elementary schools!
Research and experience shows that kids increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables when given a variety of choices in a self-serve environment. We’ve seen this increase first-hand in our middle and high schools. This type of independence helps to prepare students for a lifetime of healthy eating.
Self-serve also increases the likelihood that students will try new fruits and vegetables. For example, they can try one celery stick instead of committing to an entire portion as one of their choices. When kids try new fruits and vegetables, they incorporate greater variety into their diet, which ensures they get all the nutrition their body needs.
Students may select unlimited vegetables from the self-serve cold bar, and up to ½ cup of fruit. Visually, ½ cup of fruit is the size of a tennis ball.
Visit our website, www.pwcsnutrition.com, for more information and a helpful video with tips on how to make your students trip to the garden and fruit bar efficient, safe and tasty! Contact School Food and Nutrition Services at 703.791.7314 with questions.
New This Year: Make Your Own (MYO) Chef Salads!
Nutritious, convenient, affordable and customizable... Our Make Your Own Chef Salad lunch option is new this year at elementary and middle schools!
A MYO Chef Salad lunch includes the following:
- Unlimited vegetables from our self-serve cold bar
- ½ cup of fruit for elementary students and 1 cup of fruit for middle students and adults
- Lean protein: 1 protein choice from the hotline OR 2 protein choices from the coldline
- Hotline options include: chicken fajitas, chicken tenders, chili, crispy chicken, popcorn chicken, pulled pork, spicy beef, tuna salad and MORE!
- Coldline options include: diced chicken, egg, ham, turkey, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and roasted chick peas
- A piece of our homemade bread or sliced fruit bread
- Your choice of milk
- Your choice of salad dressing
Sound delicious? Come join us for lunch!
We look forward to serving you!
Contact School Food and Nutrition Services with comments or questions at 703.791.7314.